Lets get some facts cleared about COVID-19 and Coronavirus. Today, awareness is the key to stay safe and prevent the spread of this deadly virus.
Some Definitions clarified
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a category of viruses which cause illness and respiratory problems in animals and humans. Infections range from common cold to the more serious SARS & MARS. Most recently discovered virus causes the disease named COVID-19.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a disease. It is caused by one of the recently discovered Coronavirus. This virus was discovered for the first time in Wuhan, China. COVID-19 is an infection disease.
What is an infectious disease?
A disease which is caused by virus or bacteria and which can spread from person to person is called infectious disease. Spread can be through contact or water or air.
If COVID-19 is a disease, what are its symptoms?
High fever and tiredness. That is why it is easy to screen people with a thermal thermometer. Cough, running nose, sore throat, etc are other such symptoms. It is not easy to distinguish between the seasonal flu and coronavirus infection.
Can a person have COVID-19 and still display no symptoms at all?
Yes. A person can recover without any medical help. But as long as the coronavirus is in the body, he or she is a carrier of the virus and can spread it.
How does COVID-19 spread?
The virus spreads through air when an infected person coughs or exhales. The danger area is 1 meter. Which is why it is important that physical distance is maintained.
Another way of spreading is when an infected person touches any surface like door knobs or hand railings, the virus stays on the surface anywhere from four to several days depending on the type of surface. Then if an uninfected person touches the same place the virus comes in contact with the skin. However in such a case, the virus has to reach the nose or mouth to get the person infected. That is why the emphasis on washing hands regularly with soap and water or sanitizer to kill the virus.
- Keep the mandatory 1 meter distance in public places.
- Avoid visiting crowded places like markets or busy streets.
- Travel to other cities or foreign countries only if necessary.
- Wearing a mask may or may not help, but will definitely help in frequent touching of nose and mouth.
- Wash your hand as much as possible if you are in the open.
- If you have any signs of flu, place yourself in self-quarantine.
- Build up your immune system by healthy food and drink plenty of water.
Myths & Rumors to safeguard from COVID-19
- Eating Non-veg food from a restaurant or cooking non-veg food will not put you at risk. But the restaurant you are visiting is a public place.
- Smoking will not make you risk of catching infection. But if infected, smoking best be avoided till full recovery since the respiratory tract is vulnerable.
- There are no medicines or vaccine or any natural substances whose consumption will kill the virus or cure it. The moment such a thing is discovered, we shall update through this article.
- Pets will not transmit the virus.
- Drinking alcohol or rubbing hands with alcohol will not help in any way.
- Ibuprofen seems to cause complications in treatment. Doctors are recommending use of paracetamol instead.
- Do not fall for any rumors. If you need to check up something, WHO website is the source.
Govts of the world are fighting to contain the infection. It is evidently clear that people need to stop mass gathering or travelling if not absolutely necessary. Basic hygiene and adequate precautions are more than sufficient at this point of time. Extreme measures are necessary due to the highly contagious nature of this disease.
addaa.in is your digital assistant to take an idea or brand online. We provide you with the dedicated accounts manager for social media. From hosting to content, we manage all your needs and tech assistance for hosting your website.